Keep scrolling if you want to read some crucial cleaning advice if your home is at risk of turning into a fur kingdom!
One of the biggest obstacles to pet ownership is keeping your house clean! If you have a furry friend in your home, you've probably experienced the feeling that your home is being steadily overtaken by pet fur and a big mess sometimes, no matter what you do! Here are some tips to keep your home tidy if you are a pet owner!
- Use easy-to-clean fabrics (certain types of sofa fabrics are better for pets)
- Allocate spaces for your pet supplies + store dog food in proper containers
- Invest in a good vacuum
- Deep-Clean All Pet Collars and Toys
1) Use easy-to-clean fabrics!
When owning a furry friend, it is important to note that some fabrics will be better than others! For example, some types of sofa fabrics are better for pets than others. Here is a list of several fabrics that are pet-friendly:
- Leather: For those who have pets, leather is a wonderful option because hair and fur won't attach to it. If hair appears on the fabric, simply vacuum it away or utilize a commercial cleaner to keep the leather in good condition! One thing to note, however, is that leather does scratch. If your furry friend has sharp nails it may leave scratch or prick marks on the fabric.
- Microfiber: Microfiber is an amazing fabric! It is very easy to remove fur or hair with a lint brush or even by brushing it off with your hands. Microfiber does not rip or scratch easily which is great for people with animals with sharp claws! Most stains on Microfiber can be easily cleaned with a little bit of soap and water!
- Denim: Denim is a fantastic option for a home with a furry pet because it is extremely simple to clean. Denim furniture can enhance cozy family rooms and casual interiors. It doesn’t work very well in formal living spaces which a lot of dog owners may try to avoid. Denim can be spot cleaned with baking soda or soap and water. Additionally, the fabric's tight weave makes it simple to vacuum up any pet hair!
- Canvas: In families with dogs, canvas slipcovers are a good alternative. Because the slipcover is made of sturdy cotton fabric, it won't tear easily and can be easily removed or washed. They are also reasonably priced, especially when compared to the price of a brand-new couch. Therefore, replacing your slipcovers with claw marks or stains damage is significantly less expensive.
- Outdoor Fabric: Outdoor Fabric such as polypropylene are great for resisting stains and odors and also repelling moisture! This fabric can fight off bacteria, allowing you to share your couch with your furry friend without sacrificing your own comfort! You might make slipcovers to cover furniture you already own before getting a pet or bring outside furniture inside.
2) Allocate spaces for your pet supplies + store dog food in proper containers
Designate an area in your home to store your pet supplies! You can create extra space in your garage, use a corner or closet, use an extra room in your home, or maybe even use your laundry room! This will be a great way to keep all of your supplies together so that they don’t end up populating different areas of your home!
Another tip would be to store your dog food in proper containers to be tidy! Plastic and stainless steel are examples of dog food containers that are great for storing kibble! Make sure you select one that is airtight so that the kibble is not exposed to air as that could in turn contaminate it with bacteria.
It is also recommended to keep your dog food in its original bag and inside a proper container. Storing your dog food in a cool and dry place is important because humidity or excess heat may cause the nutrients in the kibble to break down.
3) Invest in a good vacuum
Investing in a good vacuum is essential to keeping your home with a furry friend tidy! In addition to being efficient in removing allergens and dust, vacuum cleaners are also simple to use, saving both time and energy. They have filters and suction motors to draw in dust and grime.
To clean up loose pet hair and dirt, pet owners should vacuum their carpets one to two times per week. It is suggested that pet owners should shampoo their carpets several times a year even with a vacuum.
The extra functions of pet-specific vacuums are useful even if you don't own a dog or cat, but most of them are designed for tasks that require a lot of fur. Having said that, a pet vacuum is not always necessary to thoroughly clean the space that you share with your furry pets.
4) Deep-Clean All Pet Collars and Toys
Although you may not deem it necessary, you should not forget to wash your pet’s collars and toys once in a while! They can become dirty and accumulate a lot of dust and germs. They can also be an unpleasant smell. Regularly washing your pet's accessories will keep your home smelling fresh and clean.
You can put the collars and toys in the dishwasher for a quick cleanup. For pet accessories, a thorough cleaning is recommended. You don’t have to do this everyday but it is definitely worth doing so occasionally. Toys and collars should be soaked in hot water with dog shampoo for around 30 minutes. Use cold water to wash the different items and then let them air dry!
Nevertheless, it is important to note that different materials are used to create various pet goods. Therefore, In order to ensure correct maintenance, always verify the manufacturer's instructions first before following through with these steps!
We know that it can become difficult to keep your home nice and tidy when having a furry friend! We hope that these three tips: Using easy-to-clean fabrics, allocating spaces for your pet supplies, storing dog food in proper containers, investing in a good vacuum, and cleaning all pet collars and toys will prove to be very beneficial. Check out our blog page for other blog posts, as well as more information and tips and tricks for taking care of your dogs!